[LITMUS^RT] Testing tools

Jonathan Herman hermanjl at cs.unc.edu
Fri Aug 31 23:31:25 CEST 2012

I'd like to get an inventory of the Litmus testing tools people have
coded for their own use. For instance, I know Chris and I have similar
debugging scripts, and he has some code lying around that we have used
to safely automate and repeat multi-hour / day tests. Could people
give a short description of their tools and their use?

Why: I'd like to settle on one or two different frameworks / systems
for testing that would be somewhat officially supported. These would
be the default tools we would point new people at if they want to get
started with serious litmus development.

1. Some kind of simple debugging script, used for quick one-off tests
to validate general correctness of plugins and other kernel changes.
This should take very little effort to setup and use.

2. An extendable system which can handle longer and repeated
experiments, like the test suites we use to generate results put in
papers.

If there is something brilliant enough to do (1) and (2), we would
only need one to.
______
do_trace: called like
$ do_trace color-4.sched GSN-EDF 10

<file> contains lines of parameters (not -w) to pass to rtspin, like:
10 20
-p 3 30 60
-c a 70 90

1. Runs rtspins in parallel
2. If the kernel was built with TRACE debugging, outputs TRACE to log.slog
3. If the kernel was built with overhead measurements, outputs
overheads to ft-*.bin files
4. If the kernel was built with sched_trace measurements, outputs data
to st-*.bin files
5. If the kernel was built with kernelshark debugging, outputs data to trace.dat

--
Jonathan Herman
Department of Computer Science at UNC Chapel Hill