[LITMUS^RT] Proposed Feather-Trace / P-FP patches and misc fixes

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Fri Oct 19 23:09:44 CEST 2012

And here are the userspace tool improvements.

1) https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/feather-trace-tools/tree/prop/launch-fixes

	Only two minor tweaks that make using the tools somewhat easier.

	4d44afb Support terminating ftcat after a given number of samples has been read
	46a5a89 Auto-discover ftcat in st_trace

2) https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/feather-trace-tools/tree/prop/outlier-filtering

	The actual filtering and support for suspension-based locks. Removes outliers due to interrupts, reordered log entries, and holes in the log.

	23624a2 Remove two sources of outliers
	861b556 Be more verbose about aborted moves
	a1d3854 Add monotonicity filtering to ftsort
	3896f9f Add -s (simulate) and -v (verbose) flags to ftsort
	4531e29 Add filtering of IRQ-disturbed samples (on by default)
	44da17b Support matching based on PID in ft2csv
	2265873 Update timestamp structure to reflect PID field
	dc94215 Update locking timestamp IDs

At least in my testing (involving > 15 billion samples collected over 20+ hours), I have observed no outliers with these *semantic* filters in place. This entirely removes the need of *statistical* filters (such as the IRQ filters used in prior work).

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.