[LITMUS^RT] preparing a new release

Jonathan Herman hermanjl at cs.unc.edu
Thu Nov 29 17:52:54 CET 2012

What is the following line defending against:

litmus/preempt.c:
  31│                 /* Litmus tasks should never be subject to a remote

  32│                  * set_tsk_need_resched(). */
  33│                 BUG_ON(is_realtime(tsk));

  34│                 //TRACE_TASK(tsk, "SUPERBAD"); /* I added this */

I keep hitting this when I test with a full schedule under GSN-EDF. Oddly,
when I debug using gdb and view t->comm it is "rtspin", but this is not the
case in the trace log. If I remove the BUG_ON so that TRACE_TASK is hit, I
git the following lines:
158079 P0 [sched_state_will_schedule at litmus/preempt.c:34]:
(kworker/0:0/0:0) SUPERBAD
158080 P0 [sched_state_will_schedule at litmus/preempt.c:37]:
(kworker/0:0/0:0) set_tsk_need_resched() ret:ffffffff810268d4

Which, as far as I can tell, is only possible if tsk->comm ==
"kworker/0:0". But then why is there no pid? This is on the current staging
of liblitmus and litmus-rt.

I am running on a 4 processor system with the following schedule:
10 20
30 50
9 18
10 20
30 50
9 18
10 20
30 50
9 18
10 20
30 50
9 18

Ideas? I'm assuming race condition, as Glenn suggested, because usually if
it's insane, its a race.

--
Jonathan Herman
Department of Computer Science at UNC Chapel Hill