[LITMUS^RT] question about cedf_task_wakeup()

Glenn Elliott gelliott at cs.unc.edu
Mon Jan 21 19:13:54 CET 2013

Hello All,

I am looking at some code in sched_cedf.c::cedf_task_wakeup().  There is an if-statement that conditionally clears the rt_params 'completed' flag (https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/litmus-rt/blob/master/litmus/sched_cedf.c#L605).

if (task->rt.time_slice) {
	/* came back in time before deadline */
	tsk_rt(task)->completed = 0;
}

What was the intent of the condition on the value of 'time_slice'?  What do we expect to happen if 'time_slice' is zero?  Can it ever be zero?

I'm just curious.  I am only wondering if this is dead code.  (In fact, I'm not entirely sure clearing 'completed' is necessary since the 'is_tardy()' condition checked earlier in code, I think, ensures that the waking up task is not starting a new job when 'completed' is cleared, so 'completed' would already have to be false.)

-Glenn