[LITMUS^RT] Question about using ft -- Sisu

Sisu Xi xisisu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 21:22:33 CEST 2013

Hi, all:

I installed the litmus-rt within a guest VM using Xen hypervisor. I can run
base_task without problem, and also I can check the /dev/litmus/log files.
However, when I try to use the ft_tools, it gives the following errors.
Does anyone know why?

xisisu at litmus1:~/ft_tools$ sudo ./st_trace global-exp
CPU 0: 1081 > st-global-exp-0.bin [0]
Press Enter to end tracing...

Ending Trace...
Disabling 10 events.
[  259.507087] Failed trace writes: 0
/dev/litmus/sched_trace0: 10176 bytes read.
xisisu at litmus1:~/ft_tools$ cat /dev/litmus/sched_trace0
cat: /dev/litmus/sched_trace0: Permission denied
xisisu at litmus1:~/ft_tools$ sudo cat /dev/litmus/sched_trace0
[  278.522061] Failed trace writes: 0

xisisu at litmus1:~/ft_tools$ sudo ./ftcat ft_trace CXS_START CXS_END >
../temp.out
Error: could not open feathertrace device (ft_trace): No such file or
directory
Usage: ftcat [OPTIONS] <ft device> TS1 TS2 ....

   -s SIZE   --  stop tracing afer recording SIZE bytes

 I am running it on a intel i7 machine, with hyperthreading disabled.
Kernel is configured following the instruction on your website. Seems
litmus is compatible with the xen guest patch. My host runs a normal linux
kernel, 3.4.35 on CentOS 6.3, and my guest VM is Ubuntu 12.04,
para-virtualized.

Thanks very much!

Sisu

--