[LITMUS^RT] Feather Trace Tool in LITMUS-RT

Litmus ForLinux litmustiger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 06:30:05 CET 2013

Hi,

I am a novice in Linux Kernel coding and I have found LITMUS to be
interesting. I compiled and installed LITMUS-RT in my Linux (Ubuntu 12.04)
as per the instructions given in the LITMUS website. Also I compiled
feather trace tool in my LITMUS system.(including LIBLITMUS dependencies).

How to use feather tool and trace the process (by its release and execution
time) using the litmus logs. I execute a background process and tried to
trace the process using feather tool. Following are the steps :

1. I wrote following shell script  (task.sh)-
    ls
    sleep 20
    ls
    sleep 20

Then I executed the script in the background  - sh  task.sh &
2. Once the process starts to run in the background, I executed st_trace
immediately.
3. Trace tool starts executing and it gives a message -
"Press Enter to end tracing"
I pressed enter after some time and got following -
"Disabling 10 events .... /dev/litmus_sched_trace1: 0 bytes read."

Because of this, are no contents inside the log file. If I try to execute
some other task as mentioned in the feather trace tool documentation,
"./st_trace global-exp" I encounter same "0 bytes read" message.

Please help me to resolve this issue. I want to have to log file generated.

Thanks
John