[LITMUS^RT] LITMUS^RT Vagrant Image

Manohar Vanga mvanga at mpi-sws.org
Thu Feb 6 17:28:41 CET 2014

Hi all,

While working on a project, I stumbled across Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/), a tool for managing virtual machine deployments on VPS services like EC2.

I’ve repurposed it to allow easy LitmusRT hacking on my Macbook over the last week or so and it works great. Unfortunately, it only supports VirtualBox on OSX but there is a KVM plugin for Vagrant on Linux that allows it to work with Linux guests. I haven’t spent much time figuring out the kernel debugging support in  VirtualBox but I’m sure it exists and I’ll try to get to it soon.

You can find the repository at: https://github.com/mvanga/litmus-vm-tools
The README file in the Github repository details the (simple) setup process.

The VM image is automatically downloaded from my MPI-SWS page where I’m hosting it. Inside, I’ve included the following:
- Git repositories for litmus-rt, liblitmus and feather-trace-tools.
- A stripped down configuration file from our 64-core x64_64 lab machine which I believe has been used in the evaluation of various projects here at MPI-SWS.
- The latest LitmusRT kernel installed and booted by default.
- A helpful README that explains some basic procedures like compiling a new kernel.

All files can be found in ‘/root/litmus’ once you SSH into the VM (the root user is automatically logged in). If for some reason you close your root shell and get dropped to the default ‘vagrant’ user, just use ‘sudo su’ to get back to root.

I hope this helps someone to get up and running with LitmusRT. Thanks and best regards!

—
/mvanga