[LITMUS^RT] log and feather trace missing from dev/litmus

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Wed Jun 25 12:54:46 CEST 2014

On 24 Jun 2014, at 11:52, Kushal Srivastava <s.kushal at iitg.ernet.in> wrote:

> Hi Bjorn,
>> as per your advice i'm sending you the output of li -l /dev/litmus/
>> which is
>> root at leonidas:/# ls -l /dev/litmus/
>> total 0
>> crw------- 1 root root 10, 61 Jun 24 07:04 ctrl
>> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 60 Jun 24 07:04 uncache
>>

>> also the output of dmesg as recorded is enclosed as txt file here.
>> Also i am current distribution is 13.04 .
>> the output was as:
>> Distributor ID:        Ubuntu
>> Release:        13.04
>> Codename:        raring
>>

>> <dmesg>

I would have expected error messages in the logs ("Could not register per-cpu ft_trace device" and "Could not register message ft_trace device").

	https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/litmus-rt/blob/master/litmus/trace.c#L500

	https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/litmus-rt/blob/master/litmus/trace.c#L531

It appears that the devices are correctly being registered. This seems to indicate that udev might not create the device nodes due to whatever policy it is using in your distribution, which is really outside of our control.

Just to check, can you please post the output of:

	cat /proc/devices

- Björn