[LITMUS^RT] [Fwd: Re: log and feather trace missing from dev/litmus]

Kushal Srivastava s.kushal at iitg.ernet.in
Sun Jul 6 20:06:31 CEST 2014

Subject: Re: [LITMUS^RT]  log and feather trace missing from dev/litmus
From:    Björn Brandenburg <bbb at mpi-sws.org>
Date:    Wed, June 25, 2014 4:24 pm
To:      s.kushal at iitg.ernet.in
         litmus-dev at lists.litmus-rt.org

On 24 Jun 2014, at 11:52, Kushal Srivastava <s.kushal at iitg.ernet.in> wrote:

> Hi Bjorn,
>> as per your advice i'm sending you the output of li -l /dev/litmus/
>> which is
>> root at leonidas:/# ls -l /dev/litmus/
>> total 0
>> crw------- 1 root root 10, 61 Jun 24 07:04 ctrl
>> crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 10, 60 Jun 24 07:04 uncache
>>

>> also the output of dmesg as recorded is enclosed as txt file here.
>> Also i am current distribution is 13.04 .
>> the output was as:
>> Distributor ID:        Ubuntu
>> Release:        13.04
>> Codename:        raring
>>

>> <dmesg>

I would have expected error messages in the logs ("Could not register
per-cpu ft_trace device" and "Could not register message ft_trace
device").

	https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/litmus-rt/blob/master/litmus/trace.c#L500

	https://github.com/LITMUS-RT/litmus-rt/blob/master/litmus/trace.c#L531

It appears that the devices are correctly being registered. This seems to
indicate that udev might not create the device nodes due to whatever
policy it is using in your distribution, which is really outside of our
control.

Just to check, can you please post the output of:

	cat /proc/devices

- Björn

hi  Björn

How can i trace the scheduling being done by the plugin without these tools
I am attaching the output of /proc/devices
as you had asked for it.
What should be done to resolve the issue.
how should the feather trace device node be created using the udev .
would you suggest reinstalling the kernel and litmus-rt again along with
the feather trace tools.