[LITMUS^RT] litmus-dev Digest, Vol 32, Issue 1

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Tue Aug 5 16:00:45 CEST 2014

On 05 Aug 2014, at 15:32, gokul vasan <gokulvas at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for the reply, but my question is little more primitive, I am not able to bring up the userspace; in other words I dont have a early-userspace or initramfs or initrd to get my RFS mounted, causing me trouble of
>
> "VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6"
>
> which i understand is because of i dont have Initramfs.
>
> Now my question is should i create my own RFS/ initramfs ? which holds all my libraries including liblitmus or is there a short-cut for this?
>
> please advice me, as i am going to create my own Initramfs using Busybox which is time consuming.

Hi Gokul,

the normal approach to using LITMUS^RT is to replace the kernel of some Linux distro of your choice (eg., Debian, Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Linaro, etc. have been successfully used in the past).

These distributions typically provide a working initramfs / initrd / whatever. You don't need the LITMUS^RT API during boot. There is certainly no LITMUS^RT-specific reason why you would want to build everything from scratch.

If you are building an embedded system where you execute the entire system from the initframfs, you should simply modify the scripts used by the distribution of your choice to create the ramfs image to copy in a compiled version of liblitmus & whatever apps you need.

- Björn