[LITMUS^RT] Using Linux cgroup in LITMUS-RT

Namhoon Kim namhoonk at cs.unc.edu
Sun Mar 22 13:33:41 CET 2015

Hi,

There was a paper at RTAS 2014 on bank-aware memory allocation (PALLOC).
I'm trying to use PALLOC memory allocator in LITMUS-RT. PALLOC uses CGROUP
interface in Linux, so we need to create a CGROUP partition and assign
cpus, mem nodes, and memory banks to the partition to invoke their
bank-aware memory allocation. Does LITMUS-RT support Linux CGROUP? Can we
run LITMUS-RT tasks within a CGROUP partition?  (e.g., available cpus for
global scheduler) The installation instruction page on LITMUS-RT wiki says
we should disable support for group scheduling. Does it mean that we can
use Linux CGROUP and only the group scheduling feature is not supported?

The paper and code links are here.

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~heechul/papers/palloc-rtas2014.pdf

https://github.com/heechul/palloc

Thanks,