[LITMUS^RT] Invalid Opcode Issue

Geoffrey gtran at isi.edu
Mon Feb 29 00:29:17 CET 2016

Hi Björn
> On Feb 9, 2016, at 12:21 AM, Björn Brandenburg <bbb at mpi-sws.org> wrote:
>>
> Hi Geoffrey,
>
> none of the schedulers in LITMUS^RT supports CPU hot-plugging. The code has never been tested with CPU hot-plugging, but it is known to not work with it. Simply put, we never had the resources or the motivation to pay attention to CPU hot-plugging.
>
> I’d be happy to merge patches adding CPU hot-plugging support, but any such effort will have to spearheaded by someone outside of MPI-SWS.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  It looks a workaround right now seems to be to switch schedulers
when no tasks are running and switch back.

While I was looking over the source and testing things, I was trying to look into the runtime state. To do this, I was using a module
that is built outside of the tree and loading/unloading it. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to link with the litmus base.
If you have time, would you happen to know how I could do this?

I have a directory with my module source set up as follows:
litmus-rt/      testModules/

The makefile I am using is:
	# Source: http://www.crashcourse.ca

	ifeq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)

	KERNELDIR ?= /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
	PWD := $(shell pwd)

	.PHONY: build clean

	build:
	        $(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) modules

	clean:
	        rm -rf *.o *~ core .depend .*.cmd *.ko *.mod.c
	        rm -f modules.order Module.symvers

	else

	$(info Building with KERNELRELEASE = ${KERNELRELEASE})
	obj-m := testModule

	endif

However, just trying to use the TRACE() functions warns about undefined functions/vars.  I am then unable to load the modules, although
the symbols are present in /proc/kallsyms

Is there a way to build modules in my own directory and still link to external symbols?

Thanks!
Geoffrey