[LITMUS^RT] The gap between the release time and the real beginning of execution

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Tue Jul 19 11:10:28 CEST 2016

> On 19 Jul 2016, at 12:05, shijunjie92 <shijunjie92 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello:
>
> The previous pic 'temp.jpg' is snipped from the tutor16's slides http://www.litmus-rt.org/tutor16/slides.pdf <http://www.litmus-rt.org/tutor16/slides.pdf>
> The 'temp_2.jpg' and 'temp_3.jpg' are snipped from my platform. You can see the gaps in different period are variant and unpredictable.
> I run the xubuntu img on virtualbox, and the hardware information is listed as follows:

Ok, then this is expected. Virtualization is not transparent with regard to timing. The virtualized OS cannot possibly offer better timing than the underlying hypervisor (+ overheads!).

The effect that you are seeing should go away (e.g., the gaps should be really, really small) if you run on real hardware.

- Björn