[LITMUS^RT] Kernel Instillation

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Fri Sep 9 22:04:51 CEST 2016

Hi Nick, hi Junjie,

> On 09 Sep 2016, at 18:11, shijunjie92 <shijunjie92 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also, there is no need for you to install that kernel by you own. You can download the virtualbox img directly.
> http://www.litmus-rt.org/tutor16/litmus-2016.1.qcow.gz

the image is primarily meant for the tutorial and to give people who are casually interested a way to try LITMUS^RT without spending much time on setup. However, if you want to get into kernel hacking, I suggest you do take the time now to figure out how to compile and install a custom kernel.

Regarding the compilation failure that you reported: there are some macro clashes between LITMUS^RT’s TRACE() macro and some drivers. One way to work around this is to disable the affected drivers in the kernel’s configuration file (i.e., make menuconfig). It usually affects quite obscure drivers.

Of course, that’s just a workaround. If anyone has a proper patch to avoid these kinds of problems I’d happily consider merging it.