[LITMUS^RT] Interrupt Context

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Mon Jul 24 15:20:09 CEST 2017

> On 24. Jul 2017, at 14:07, Neil Patrao <illusion.webs at ymail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a question about interrupts.
>
> If a process
> 1. Sets it's RT params
> 2. Sets up a hardware interrupt (binds to a custom function)
> 3. Transitions into RT mode
>
> Will the interrupt function be executed in the RT context of the process?

Hi Neil,

thanks for your interest in LITMUS^RT. I’m afraid I don’t fully understand your question. Could you elaborate on what you mean by (2)?

Generally speaking, in mainline Linux and hence also LITMUS^RT, interrupt handlers do not run in process context. They either run in hardirq context or (more likely) in softirq context, the latter meaning that they are processed either on the IRQ return path or by ksoftirqd.

- Björn