[LITMUS^RT] Running LITMUS-RT on ARM64

Meng Xu xumengpanda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:45:14 CEST 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Björn Brandenburg <bbb at mpi-sws.org> wrote:

> LITMUS^RT’s
> because
> receive
> >>
> >> This sounds really bad.
> >
> > I'm wondering if it's designed for this on purpose by Linux people?
> > If yes, they must have discussed some tradeoffs; otherwise, it could
> > lead to some issues.
>
> What is the alternative? The guest kernel does not know when the vCPU is
> actually making progress. So how could it react in any other way? Or is
> there some interface exported by Xen that would allow us to infer exactly
> how much service a vCPU received?

​When a VCPU is preempted, it notify the guest kernel; when a VCPU resumes,
it notify the guest kernel. Then the guest kernel knows how long the vcpu
is preempted.
​I'm unaware this interface has been implemented in Xen or not. But I think
it's doable.​

​(I'm thinking in research perspective. If this issue is serious enough, I
guess it could be a research problem to look at)​

Best,

Meng​

Meng Xu
PhD Candidate in Computer and Information Science
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~mengxu/