[LITMUS^RT] Schedule and Locking Overhead information

Ricardo Teixeira ricardo.btxr at gmail.com
Sat May 11 18:19:47 CEST 2019

Hi,

I executed 800 experiments for an out of stock protocol, each experiment
runned for 30 seconds. During the experiments, I got overhead information
using the scripts disponible at github (throught the feather trace tools).

I also ran the same set of experiments for another out of stock protocol
and got the same overhead information. Both protocols generates nearly the
same amount of jobs.

Analysing the collected data, I realized that the second protocol generated
about 3 times more samples than the first, for all types of data collected,
for example: CXS, LOCK, RELEASE-LATENCY, RELEASE, SCHED and SCHED2.

Another problem was that both protocols gererated a reasonable amount of
LOCK samples, but an insignificant amount of UNLOCK samples.
For example: for an subset of 100 experiments, there was 62k LOCK samples
for the first protocol and 177k for the second, there was 0 UNLOCK samples
for the first protocol and 6 for the second. That situation was present in
all of the 8 subsets, where the amount of UNLOCK samples was never above 10
for both protocols.

Through the tracers, I known that the LOCK and UNLOCK operations were
happening as expected and I not changed the code which saves the overhead
tracers.

Could anyone help me to understand what is happening?

Thanks,

Ricardo