[LITMUS^RT] I have a prototype update of LITMUS^RT to version 5.16-rc7 of the Linux kernel

Nathan O otternes at cs.unc.edu
Thu Feb 3 22:17:34 CET 2022

Hello,

I just spent the past month or so attempting to port LITMUS to the
bleeding-edge Linux kernel (which was 5.16-rc7 when I started).  After a
small number of very time-consuming mistakes, I am pleased to announce that
I have a version that is (at least) capable of booting, switching
schedulers, and running the rtspin test on a 4-core x86_64 VM.

I have yet to use it enough to have a good idea of stability or whether all
of the scheduling behavior is correct.  Additionally, I have not tested it
on ARM architectures or 32-bit intel.  However, I plan to continue using it
for my research, and will try to fix any critical bugs I discover.

On a related note, our group has continued to use a slightly older version
of LITMUS based on Linux 5.4, available in the linux-5.4-litmus branch of
this repo: https://github.com/JoshuaJB/litmus-rt/. For anyone needing a
better-tested version of LITMUS that is nonetheless newer than the last
official release (based on 4.9), I would recommend using that version.  I
only performed this update because I needed an up-to-date version of the
AMDGPU driver, though I figured others will be in increasing need of the
updated hardware support as time goes on.

So, if anybody is interested, my experimental update is available in the
update_litmus_2022 branch of this repository:
https://github.com/yalue/litmus-rt.

Finally, for those interested in the changes needed to support this new
version, I kept notes of the things I needed to modify during the update
(including changes I was uncertain about).  My notes are available here:
https://gist.github.com/yalue/6852e9b88abbc60beba9c855a0045271.

Thanks, and I hope someone else finds this useful!

Nathan