[LITMUS^RT] Why write overheads to disk during experiments?

Mac Mollison mollison at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jan 24 01:21:31 CET 2012

The subject pretty much sums up my question. :)

The alternative I'm thinking about is saving overheads (i.e.
feather-trace data) to a large buffer in memory, and then dumping them
to disk after the experiment has concluded.

The main advantage would be not having interrupts due to disk I/O
during experiments.

Another very minor advantage would be not having gaps in the data. (I
say "very minor" because the gaps aren't actually a problem.)

Glenn mentioned the idea of just ftcating to a file in a ram-based
filesystem, which is another way of accomplishing the same thing with
minimal modifications to existing infrastructure.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mac