[LITMUS^RT] rteval

Andrea Bastoni bastoni at cs.unc.edu
Thu May 24 20:15:53 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't new to some (many?) of you...

I stumbled across this test suite

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/clrkwllms/rteval.git

that targets preempt_rt kernels (specifically developed for the Red Hat MRG).

It's basically just a wrapper on top of some commonly-used benckmarks to test
preempt_rt performance (cyclictest + [kernel compilation, hackbench, dbench]),
but it has a nice python interface for:
- detection of possible DMI errors
- gathering of CPU topology
- XML output
- XML-RPC to push results to a PostgreSQL server (have we ever think about
keeping a database of our test results? ;))

Perhaps it may be useful for some quick Litmus testing with some non-trivial load.

Thanks,
- Andrea

--------
P.S. (a couple of P.S.)
- python-schedutils is not needed (and the git repo no longer exists)

- to run rteval you likely want this as well:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/clrkwllms/rt-tests.git

- from the rteval doc: ;)
"A real time system is one which must meet deadlines of some
sort. [...] To give a realtime application the best chance
of meeting its deadline(s), a realtime OS must minimize the time
between event occurance and the servicing of that event (latency)."