[LITMUS^RT] Handling aperiodic tasks

John Gamboa vaulttech at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 11:43:50 CET 2012

Hello!

I'm sure this question has a very simple answer, but I didn't find a
solution yet. I'm trying to implement a "Slot Shifting plugin" for Litmus.
In the plugin, I should be able to handle aperiodic tasks, which, as
expected, should come at any time during the schedule.

In order to start these tasks, I was planning to create a program to run
along with the schedule. It would sleep for a certain amount of time and
then start a new "rtspin". I initially planned to make this program "non
Real Time", but then I though "what if it should wake up at some point in
time, but it doesn't because the processor is so loaded that only Real Time
tasks are running then?". Then I though "I'll make the program Real Time",
but then I realized that the rtspins wouldn't be Real Time until they reach
a certain point in the program (where they make the
"task_mode(LITMUS_RT_TASK)" call).

I believe the children of a Real Time task are not Real Time, right? (I
didn't find a way to test it, but it would complicate a lot my "admission
tests" :-))

Do you have any suggestion? I though maybe my Real Time program could
itself change its children tasks to Real Time, but then wouldn't the
"task_mode()" call fail? (anyway, this is probably what I'll try, if I
don't find an easier solution)

Thanks for your attention,

--
John Gamboa