[LITMUS^RT] Linux Kernel 4.0 Soon

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Tue Apr 30 08:06:33 CEST 2013

On Apr 29, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Glenn Elliott <gelliott at cs.unc.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Glenn Elliott <gelliott at cs.unc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that Linux Kernel 3.9 was released recently.  I suppose it's likely that it will be at least 4.0 by the end of the summer.  That will put Litmus (based on 3.0) a full version number behind mainline.  Do we have a strategy for moving to 4.0?  Will someone be delegated to make an initial port, or are we going to make it a group effort?  Do we jump straight to 4.0, or do we upgrade incrementally?
>>
>> -Glenn
>
> On second thought, are we just going to go to 3.10?  I guess that doesn't look as bad.

Independent of the numbering, it is clear that LITMUS^RT will need to be rebased again soon. We've been delaying this for quite some time now. The problem is of course time and free developers. It will happen when someone steps up to do it.

Felipe already did a lot of initial work to restructure LITMUS^RT as a proper patch set (to get Feather-Trace into SCHED_DEADLINE)t; this will be a good starting point.

Personally, I hope to have some more hacking time this summer after the dust settles after the RTSS deadline (famous last words).

- Björn