[LITMUS^RT] LITMUS-RT Deadline Detection

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Tue May 19 14:16:23 CEST 2015

> On 18 May 2015, at 20:07, Geoffrey Tran <gtran at isi.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Björn,
>
> I hope you are doing well!
>
> I have been looking though the source for LITMUS and couldn't find an answer, so I thought it would be a good idea
> to ask you.  My question is if there is a mechanism for a real-time application to detect its deadline being
> violated in run-time.  For example, if I had a task structured to follow the base_task.c example, if there
> was a way to see that a deadline was missed.
>
> The only way I know how to detect deadlines now is through post-processing and ft_trace.  I'm not interested
> in the tardiness or anything else, just whether deadlines are missed.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,

if you are using budget enforcement, you can query the current job number to find out if your previous budget was exhausted. Without budget enforcement, there’s currently no explicit support for figuring out within each job whether a deadline was missed. You could of course use Linux’s existing timekeeping APIs to figure out whether the current time is past your current deadline.

- Björn