[LITMUS^RT] Installation Problems: Missing aux file from git repository

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Tue Feb 21 07:44:34 CET 2017

> On 20 Feb 2017, at 22:38, Brittany Subialdea <bsubialdea at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am new to LITMUS

Welcome!

> and am having some complications with the installation process. The GitHub process has a message "Failed to load latest commit information" regardless of the computer we load it from.

That’s just GitHub’s web interface; it struggles with repositories the size of Linux. Not a big deal.

> When copying the master branch to a usb we get the message that an aux file cannot be located (a photo of the error message is attached). When we try to install with this file missing we get the following error on the "make modules" command
>        CC[M] drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/subdev/i2c/anx9805.o
>        make[4]: *** No rule to make target 'drivers/gpu/drm/nouveu/nvkm/subdev/i2c/aux.o', needed by 'drivers/gpu/drm/nouveu.nouveu.o'. Stop.
>
> Is this error a problem with the git repository

No.

> or a problem on our end copying the file etc.? (There are no errors when downloading but transferring to a usb gives the aux error) Any information would be much appreciated.

You need to compile Linux, and hence also LITMUS^RT, on a Linux file system (e.g., ext4, btrfs, xfs, etc.). It does not work on case insensitive file systems or feature-limited non-UNIX file systems such as FAT and ExFAT. It does not work on Windows, and you can’t correctly check out out the LITMUS^RT tree under macOS running on a case-insensitive HFS+ volume, either.

So please make sure you either format your USB drive with a Linux file system (I would suggest ext4), or clone the repo and compile the kernel on a Linux machine’s internal drive.

- Björn

PS: Please subscribe to the LITMUS^RT mailing list before posting questions. For spam reasons, we generally do not allow non-member posts.