[LITMUS^RT] Running LITMUS-RT on ARM64

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Thu Aug 24 11:32:34 CEST 2017

Dear Andrii,

> On 23. Aug 2017, at 11:01, Andrii Anisov <andrii_anisov at epam.com> wrote:
>

> I'm running  LITMUS-RT on ARM64 and facing some issues with feather-trace output.

thanks for your interest in LITMUS^RT!

> Within the work of evaluating XEN RTDS scheduler discussed here [1], I've built a generic ARMv8 yocto image (core-image-full-cmdline) with a kernel taken from [2], the domu layer which builds a guest system with liblitmus and feather-trace-tools you can find here [3]. I ran the image as a guest domain on Salvator-X board setup compiled as described here [3].

The ARM64 support in general is still experimental. That said, I’m not aware of any major defects in the current master branch, so it should actually work.

> In order check feather-trace functionality I run rtspin tasks and trying to collect traces using st-trace-schedule. The problem is that traces collected seems to be broken. First of all st-job-stats can not get task parameters from trace files,

You need to launch the tracer before creating the processes. If the tracer is launched after the real-time processes have been launched, then no task parameters will be included in the trace.

> than st-draw builds graphs which looks like a mess.

I don’t know what happened with your PDF, but if I run st-draw from the current feather-trace-tools master branch (release 2017.1) on the files that you sent, it looks ok to me (result attached).

	feather-trace-tools/st-draw -v  schedule_host\=genericarmv8_scheduler\=GSN-EDF_trace\=trace-1*.bin
	[II] Rendering into file: schedule_host=genericarmv8_scheduler=GSN-EDF_trace=trace-1.pdf
	[II] Drawing 1.00 seconds from time 775.3219s until time 776.3219s.
	[II] The trace contains a system release at time 775.3219s.
	[II] Identifying relevant tasks and CPUs... 4 tasks, 2 cores.
	[II] Canvas size: 36272pt x 432pt
	[II] Drawing grid... done.
	[II] Drawing CPU allocations... done.
	[II] Drawing releases and deadlines... done.
	[II] Drawing job completions... done.
	[II] Drawing job suspensions... done.
	[II] Drawing job wake-ups... done.
	[II] Finishing PDF... done.
	[II] Flushing PDF... done.

Hope that helps. If not, please feel free to follow up.

Best,