[LITMUS^RT] Overheads

Martinez Garcia Jorge Luis (PS-EC/ESB2) JorgeLuis.MartinezGarcia at de.bosch.com
Thu May 16 22:45:23 CEST 2019

Dear Björn,
I'm currently trying to compare scheduling overheads under different schedulers. To that end, I would like to understand the overhead name convention used in Litmus. After computing some statistics by means of ft-compute-stats, I can see the following categories:   CXS, RELEASE, RELEASE-LATENCY, SCHED2, SCHED, and SEND-RESCHED.
Please correct me, if I am wrong, I assume that CXS accounts for the overhead related to process switching (context-switch overhead) and SCHED + SCHED2 for process selection (scheduling overhead).
Do RELEASE and RELEASE-LATENCY account for the execution of a release ISR (release overhead) and the delay until the release ISR starts execution (event latency)?
What does SEND-RESCHED account for?
Once a job is completed there is some kind of overhead involved like the one related to the trap generated by its completion, does this overhead fall under one of those categories?
Best,
Jorge