[LITMUS^RT] P-RES: waking up tasks before timeout

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Thu May 16 12:17:41 CEST 2019

> On 16. May 2019, at 11:32, Julien Haibach <julien.haibach at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> currently I am working on a mode change implementation, on top of the P-RES plugin.
> In the case of a mode change, tasks sleeping may need to be woken up before their previous mode release time.
>
> On job completion tasks are put asleep with
> schedule_hrtimeout(&next_release, HRTIMER_MODE_ABS);
> the task state is TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE - litmus/jobs.c:147
>
> So my question is what is the best way to wake up a sleeping task in this plugin?
> I tried to call wake_up_process() from the plugin, but this did not work out of the box.

Hi Julien,

these are standard Linux interfaces, so the regular methods apply. For instance, interruptible tasks can be woken up prematurely by a signal. Thus, presumably there are APIs for waking sleeping tasks early to implement signal delivery. I’d investigate that code path (or read through the various wake-up wrappers) to find the right API to use.

Best,