[LITMUS^RT] New LITMUS-RT Version Based on Linux 5.4

Joshua Bakita jbakita at cs.unc.edu
Fri Oct 30 20:29:15 CET 2020

Hello all,

Nathan Otterness, Leo Chen, and myself have been working on an effort to
update LITMUS-RT to Linux 5.4 at UNC. We've been working on-and-off for a
few months, but it's finally almost ready!

What is the preferred approach to upstreaming a major upgrade like this?
Our current tree squashes all the historical LITMUS-RT commits. There's
some internal debate as to whether we should convert our tree into a
traditional rebase which preserves the LITMUS-RT commit history and
modifies each commit as appropriate, or leave it as the squash that it is.
Some input from the current LITMUS-RT maintainers would be appreciated.

We also found a couple bugs in upstream LITMUS-RT while testing our port:
1. GSN-EDF can complete jobs twice when budget enforcement is enabled
2. The TRACE buffer will fail to allocate when kernel memory is highly
fragmented (solution: use kvmalloc)

Best,

Joshua Bakita