[LITMUS^RT] Supported architectures, LITMUS-RT

Namhoon Kim namhoonk at cs.unc.edu
Tue Dec 6 03:41:07 CET 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 8:40 PM, David Moncada <david_moncada at icloud.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Previously I posed a few questions related to power management, how could
> it be implemented in LITMUS-RT and what would be some of the problems one
> might run into when doing that.
>
> Following this same line, I would appreciate if you helped me clearing a
> few more doubts:
> - Can you install and run LITMUS-RT in some embedded platform or
> development board?

Yes, I installed LITMUS-RT on Freescale IMX6 Sabre development board. I
used 2015.1 release. You can also install LITMUS-RT patches on Freescale's
BSP Linux.

> - Are there any special requirements for doing so? Storage? RAM?

I'm not sure about the minimum requirements, but I think if you can run
Linux on a machine you can run LITMUS-RT, too.

- Are there some architectures that are supported and some that are not?

ARM archtectures are supported.

> What we have in mind is augmenting the already available real-time
> schedulers in LITMUS-RT with energy-aware features. Then, we'd like to
> implement this in some dev. board for finally mounting some
> energy-efficient real-time applications on top.
>
> Basically we'd like to know which system is suited best for LITMUS-RT.
> We're considering a dev. board with an ARM Cortex A9 quad-core processor,
> with DVFS and low power modes included. It has support for Linux. Would you
> consider this HW to be appropriate?

I turn off power management and frequency scaling features because it is
recommended to disable those features.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Regards!
> David Moncada

Namhoon