[LITMUS^RT] specifying arrival tasks and running task using litmus

Björn Brandenburg bbb at mpi-sws.org
Mon Sep 7 11:35:13 CEST 2020

> On 6. Sep 2020, at 15:28, Marov Gazaal <adamagaghz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all. I am trying to build a scheduling algorithm called MLLF (Modified Least Laxity First). The behavior of This policy is related to knowing if there is an executing task when another task arrives to make comparison between their priorities (in specific manner) to specify the task should work.
> I ask about things in Litmus, if you do not mind:
> 1- if I want to specify the task which has arrived, is there a function that can do that in litmus? I found a function called "edf_job_arrival(struct task_struct* task)" in sched-gsn-edf.c and I tried to use it but with no benefit, so I'm not sure if it can serve me in my objective.
> 2- if I want to specify the task executed now, how to do that too? I searched for and I found "is_current_running" function but the same as above.
>
> I appreciate your help.

Dear Marouf,

before attempting to write a new policy, you should first understand how the existing policies are implemented. For instance, how does GSN-EDF really work? How does it select the next thread to run, and how is that thread actually dispatched? To understand this, you’ll have to study the source code. Once you do, the answers to your questions will become obvious.

Regards,